Thursday, March 24, 2011

February: Flying Trapeze

Flying through the air with the greatest of ease!

Now, I am not crazy, I swear. I had someone convince me to do this with them. At first, I thought it sounded like fun. Right before going, I thought we were insane! But let me tell you, it is the most amazing experience ever!

I can only do a 1/4 pull-up, I can barely do push-ups, I am not the most athletic person (to put it mildly). However, I can not only fly on the trapeze, I can do a catch too. Anyone can do it. You utilize the force of gravity (and the lack of gravity) in order to accomplish these tricks.

Want to know how to do it?
1. Climb up a really large ladder.
2. Get harnessed in, safety first.
3. Hold on to the bar with one hand, platform scaffolding with the other.
4. Put chest forward, hips back.
5. Put both hands on the bar.
6. At the call of "Ready!" bend knees and prepare to jump off platform.
7. At the call of "Hep", jump off said platform and swing on the bar!

That's about what my first jump entailed. As I did a couple more, however, I managed to get my knees hooked under the bar, let go and extend my arms out above and behind my head. I felt like I was a little kid playing on the jungle gym again.

The most exhilarating part, however, had to be when I reached out and caught onto one of the instructors, letting go of my bar and hanging onto him for dear life. This is called a "catch". It is oh, so, amazing. My friend and I were a mess of excitement, exhilaration and hyperness for several hours after our 1.5 hour session. I almost felt sorry for those who had to listen to us.

Video of my catch to come soon!!!

Beware though, if you do go, you will be sore that night and for the next couple of days. Not only was my upper body sore but my abs were throbbing. It was so totally worth it though! I'd highly recommend it to anyone!

1 comment:

  1. I really wish I could have been there for this one. I'm glad I got to see the video though. It looked so cool. Let me know if you need help getting it up here. Also, if you want those pics and videos from the shooting range, let me know. I can't wait to see what you write about me in your next post. P.s. You better hurry because the month is almost over!

    ReplyDelete